November 13, 2009

CSM 4 Candidacy: Vote Serenity Steele.

How time flies - It's term 4 of the CSM and I've decided to run again. For those of you that don't know me, I was Vice Chairman of the 1st CSM. Please cast your Vote here.

My main platform at that time is what it remains today: I offer the EVE Community my

- Capabilities: At assessing and refining issues raised by players and fellow council members. In particular bringing an independent, balanced view to all issues.

- Credibility: Ability to deliver on plans. During CSM 1, I was elected as Vice Chairman. Knowledge of the universe and game, from EVE Strategic Maps, Running Alliances, Corporations and Launching the first Public IPOs to the Economy.

Credibility: Qualified player
Playing EVE since 2003 with 5 accounts has given me a deep knowledge of almost all game mechanics. This enables me to predict side-effects (or benefits) of proposed issues. This includes eg. PvP (Solo/Gang/Fleet/Blob), PvE, Mission running, Manufacturing from Moon/Roid/NPC to finished Ships and Modules (T1/T2/T3), POS, 0.0 Infrastructure (Outposts, Corp, Alliance, Pirating, being Suicide Ganked, Wars, Faction Warfare, NPCing, Mission Runnning and research. I do have a gap in my experience in Invention and Wormhole life, but know enough players who do both these activities to gather balanced views.

Capability: Qualified professional; With 20 years of professional experience in IT and Internet at a senior/strategic level and relevant experience to CSM in the areas of Leading/Participating in committees, teams and working groups, Mentoring and training managers and consulting on Internet Strategy, process management and change management.

During my working time, I created (EVE Strategic Maps) with is used by CCP employees! I've also appeared in documentaries to advocate EVE Online to current non-players (another Perfect World). For the last 3 months I've been doing private study on Game Design, and am working on private business venture for a new MMO. I was at the Game Developers Conference Europe to get the low-down on the Dust514 launch.

Belief in EVE Players
I have a strong belief that players have the capabilities, ideas and ingenuity to make changes in how we experience the game through emergent play, without sweeping changes from CCP.

Eg. Dominion: while thankfully (hopefully) solving the POS boredom, was not necessary to break the alliance stagnation in 0.0 space; It is possible for players to achieve this through self organisation.

What we players do need from CCP is support for game mechanic and particularly social networking tools to enhance the player abilities. Eg. Eve Banks, IPOs, Alliance organisation tools, Spacebook, API key access and of course the individual balance issues, which have been highlighted by players from CSM1 to CSM3. This will become increasingly important as Dust514 is integrated to New Eden in 2010.

Vote or Do you want to know more?
Vote Serenity Steele (or) Post a question up here. You're also welcome to Evemail or Convo me in-game.

3 comments:

quandry247 said...

Hi there,
Extreme of Wildly Inappropriate Alliance matched highest in the Vote Match Questionnaire and merits my provisional support, but, he has not replied to my post which does not help with my trust issues.

If you are kind enough to give me your considered opinion on my three hot topics I'd be happy to give you my every support.

My burning items of interest are:

(1)Clear communication - it's not clear. I want to see a single website for all CSM related activity, representation of who stands for what in this morass of of conflicting viewpoints and agendas at both CSM and CCP. Give us the tools to see what is really going on. The forums are not good enough.

(2)Bounties. Flawed system. Game design makes it next to impossible for me to play the lone bounty hunter while hundreds of popular pirate gangs clamour for 'more love' from CSMs / game mechs. Does anyone else see the disparity there?

(3)Storyline. I can't see the link between storyline missions and events in EVE. Does it exist? It should. Game balance could be solved with the introduction of new modules or tech rather than the blunt instrument that is the nerf bat and provide the march of technology to hang Chronicles upon.

That's all my high horses, hobby horses and nightmares for now, I would very much like to hear your thoughts.

Chris K
Snowflake Tem
CEO The Order of Symbolic Measures.

Serenity Steele said...

(Note duplicate post removed)

Serenity Steele said...

Hi Chris,

Good points. Please see my response below:

(1) Clear Communication.
Every CSM since CSM1 has asked for CCP to address this issue. There are several distinct areas that IMO need to be made clearer and particularly FASTER:
Day to day working
- Publishing of Minutes
- Clear list of issues (tagged, categorized, indexed and searchable)
- Voting history of Council members on issues
Multi-CSM Continuity
- Final prioritization agreed with CCP for Agile backlog
- Working methods used (eg. the submission template I created in CSM1)
- Candidate scores, participation and (if relevant) previous issue voting history

CCP has historically been unable to provide the tools with the reason being given that the Web site does not support it. In reality it is most likely needed for the CSM themselves to organise a tool and present the data. This is what I hoped the www.eve-csm.com website would be used for. It is probably the case that I just need to do it myself, and if elected to CSM will put in the time to do this. Hell if not elected, I'm tempted to do it anyway for the benefit of the community.

(2) Bounties
Bounty hunting as a profession (in fact the whole bounty system) is indeed a flawed game mechanic. It has long been the case that any serious bounty placed on a character is simply recovered by one of the players alts or friends. Furthermore, the tools available for bounty hunting vs. the rewards are fairly limited. (Yes you can use mission agents to find the intended target, but it requires co-operation of many people/accounts to score the hit). This is particularly a profession I would like to get 'more love' as it also provides a market-driven solution for industrialists who are on the receiving end of piracy or aggression generally, but don't have the social network to motivate punitive measures. Market based systems IMO are a great solution to these kind of issues.

(3)Storyline.
I'm not sure if you are aware that in (2008?) there was a massive amount of work done on the storyline arcs, which was leaked by a volunteer, and the whole 1-1.5years work had to be thrown away to stop the potential "insider trader" effect. CCP have been working hard to restore a storyline Arcs, but IIRC aren't there yet. What I would personally prefer to see is more player development of story-lines/arcs, with the support of CCP. For example, in the early days of EVE it was fairly typical to see a GM played character performing in live "mission" events for players, based on real-time events of player alliances within the game. There are many opportunities to develop this in line with Faction Warfare, and I support these developments. Personally I don't read the chronicles as I'm more interested in the social networks and developments of the players. What we need here is more tools (Ambulation/WIS promised layer scripting of NPCs in stations with missions, which sis something I would like to see soon!).